Canadian Experience Class
Bill Mandy 1 year ago

How to Get Permanent Residence with the Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class is for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents. CEC is also one of the fastest routes to Canadian permanent residence, taking as little as three to four months to process! With the help of this program, highly qualified foreigners can settle in Canada without going through the laborious process of applying for permanent residency. Please continue reading to learn more about everything you need to know about the CEC, from how it operates to ascertain your eligibility to how to start the application process.

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC), one of Canada's three immigration categories, seeks to entice competent workers to support the nation's economic and demographic growth. Talented foreign workers with at least a year of work experience in Canada can apply for permanent residency through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program.

The Canadian government introduced the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) project in 2010 to make it simpler for highly qualified immigrants to find jobs there. Qualified foreign employees can immigrate to Canada via the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) immigration category in two steps and get permanent status. They can directly apply for permanent residence following at least a year of work experience in Canada.

If you have previous experience working in Canada, either as a student or as an employee, you might be eligible to apply under this category. However, as you do according to the guidelines of the other two immigration programs, the Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must fulfill specified conditions to qualify for permanent residency under CEC laws.

You must have one year of recent full-time employment—or the equivalent amount of recent part-time employment—in one of the following occupations to be eligible: - Management Positions - Jobs in the Professions Technical Professions - Trades and Skilled Professions You might be qualified to apply for permanent residency under the CEC program if you have this kind of work experience.

Everything you need to know about CEC programs, including what they are, how to apply, and what to budget for, will be covered in this guide. Here's everything you need to know about the Canadian Experience Class to learn whether it's right for you.

Overview of the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

One of the three professional worker immigration categories for Canadians run by the Federal Express Entry system is the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). It is an immigration program that enables temporary foreign workers and international students to use their Canadian education and work history to support their applications for permanent residency in Canada. Additionally, by taking into consideration the time that the foreign scholar or skilled worker spent in Canada while contributing to Canadian society, the Canadian Experience Class promotes the change from a temporary to permanent status. People who have at least a year of full-time work experience in Canada can use CEC to apply to become permanent residents based on their education and work history.

For foreign nationals who are temporarily employed in Canada and want to become permanent citizens, the Canadian Experience Class Program was established. As a result, if you have worked in Canada for one year in the previous three years, either as a full- or part-time job, you are eligible to apply for the Canada Experience Class and try to become a permanent resident. Because the Express Entry system controls the CEC, successful applicants will benefit from among the fastest processing times in Canadian immigration. To be included in the pool of candidates for Express Entry, you must first meet all requirements for the Canadian Experience Class.

Requirements for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Several requirements must be met to qualify for the Canadian Experience Class Program. You can find out if you do by responding to a quick survey or test on the Canadian Immigration Website. By choosing the "Check your Eligibility" option, you can take the exam that includes several questions about your past. You will be given an application number that you can use later if you complete this test and the requirements.

The survey will test you on the following:

  • Work Experience and Occupation Level
  • Language Ability and Education
  • Admissibility

Furthermore, the Canadian Experience Class Program has no educational requirements; nonetheless, your educational history may help to increase your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points, which are used to rank your profile among the pool of Express Entry candidates.

Work experience

You must have one year of professional Canadian work experience. The work experience must be:

  • for a full-time position; or
  • the equivalent time in a part-time position;
  • legally obtained in Canada;
  • from jobs defined by the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) as level 0, A, or B.


There's no education requirement for the CEC. But you can increase your Express Entry score by:

  • earning a certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian secondary or tertiary school;
  • completing a foreign credential;
  • getting an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) showing your previous
  • education meets Canadian standards.

Language skill

To meet this requirement, you must:

  • Take an approved language test for writing, reading, listening, and speaking;
  • Meet the minimum language requirement of Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs or Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for NOC B jobs.


  • You must legally be allowed to enter Canada

How to Apply for the Canadian Experience Class

Meanwhile, here's an overview of the CEC application process.

1. Obtain a Canadian work permit

Having the ability to work in Canada is an essential qualification for this program. Therefore, obtaining a work permit for Canada is the first and most crucial step in applying for the CEC program. Additionally, you need at least a year of professional experience to be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class (or longer if it is part-time). Sadly, your independent work and previous employment from when you were a full-time student are not considered. However, this criterion considers your temporary work visa-related experience, such as your time spent on a working vacation visa.

2. Meet the eligibility criteria

Ensure that you fulfill each of the conditions listed above. Complete your language exam. To determine your Canadian Language Benchmark level, you must pass an approved language exam, such as the IELTS for English or the TEF for French. Candidates who have some proficiency in both French and English may receive extra credit for their second-language proficiency.

3. Create your express entry profile

The Federal Express Entry (EE) program manages the pool of candidates for the Canadian Experience Class. Therefore you must create an online Express Entry profile to qualify for the program. This step is completed on the IRCC website. You will be asked to provide some personal information:

  • age
  • education
  • language proficiency
  • income
  • Canadian work experience
  • spouse (if applicable)

Your Express Entry profile will receive a score from the Comprehensive Ranking System out of 1,200 possible points (CRS). Age, employment history, linguistic abilities, education, and other factors are considered. Based on CRS scores, your profile is then evaluated and compared to other profiles in the Express Entry pool.

Applicants with the highest-ranking Express Entry profiles are asked to apply for Canadian permanent residency through routine lotteries performed by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

4. Receive an invitation to apply

After completing your Express Entry profile, it's time to wait! Getting an ITA could be a relieving step for many people. Some individuals who submit a profile to Express Entry are allowed to submit a permanent residency application after receiving an invitation to apply (ITA). If you accept the invitation, processing your application will take up to six months.

Once you receive your Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian PR, you must compile all required documentation (permanent residence). Medical certification and a criminal background check are necessary. You have 60 days from receiving your ITA to submit your application for permanent residence in Canada.

5. Get confirmation of permanent residence

You will be informed of any further requirements by a Canadian immigration official after they have reviewed your electronic application. Typically, it takes four months to process an application for a CEC. After approval, you will be informed of the papers for permanent residency. Once you enter Canada, this will prove your authorized residence. Once you have received confirmation of your status, you can next apply for your PR card. When leaving the country, you may present this card as proof of your Canadian residency. After getting your status confirmation, you can also apply for your PR card. When leaving the country, you may present this card as proof of your Canadian residency.


Furthermore, here are some of the frequently asked questions related to the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program:

How long does it take to receive a decision after applying for the CEC?

Once you submit your application for permanent residency through CEC, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will take approximately four months to process. After that, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will need two to three weeks to send you a letter confirming your status as a permanent resident if your application is approved. After you receive that letter, it could take another one to two months for an overseas visa office to grant your visa.

What happens if my application is not approved?

If your application is turned down, you will be notified via letter. The letter will contain instructions on how to appeal or submit a new application. We advise reapplying at least six months before your current status expires, even though there is no defined time frame in which you must do so. After receiving the letter, you have 60 days to appeal Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada's (IRCC) decision.

Should I contact an immigration consultant to help me through this process?

Yes! First and foremost, hiring a professional is not shameful. The CEC program can be very challenging, and determining your eligibility can be very challenging. Having an expert on hand is preferable to accidentally disqualifying yourself because you weren't aware of all of your possibilities. The procedures for figuring out if you qualify for the Canadian Experience Class are listed below.

Will I be able to work in Canada while my application is being processed?

If you are granted permanent residence under a scheme like CEC, you are eligible for open work permits while your application is still pending. This suggests that even while you apply for open positions, you can still maintain your eligibility for resident status. If your employer asks for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and it is rejected, you won't be able to work.

What's next after IRCC has approved my application?

You can apply for your PR Card and travel with your family once your application for immigration through a CEC program has been accepted. For the IRCC to properly process any mail they may send you; you must keep your address up-to-date in your government records and inform them if you move or go outside of Canada. Learning about the Canadian language, culture, and traditions would be best. I want you to know that your search for career chances in Canada will be facilitated by adding these fresh experiences and abilities to your resume.

What is the Canadian Temporary Foreign Workers Program (TFWP)?

What is the Canadian Temporary Foreign Workers Program (TFWP)?

Bill Mandy
1 year ago
How to Immigrate to Canada as a Doctor in 2023

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Doctor in 2023

Bill Mandy
1 year ago
Student Visa in Canada: A Comprehensive Guide to Obtaining a Student Visa

Student Visa in Canada: A Comprehensive Guide to Obtaining a Student V...

Bill Mandy
7 months ago
Study at The Emily Carr University of Art + Design in2023 and Get the Skills You need to Succeed in Life

Study at The Emily Carr University of Art + Design in2023 and Get the...

Bill Mandy
1 year ago
How to Apply for Money Genius Scholarship Canada in 2023

How to Apply for Money Genius Scholarship Canada in 2023

Bill Mandy
1 year ago